Braunschweig (Eng: Brunswick) , is a nice city for finding free food and stuff.
"Containern" is German for dumpster diving. Against all myths, Braunschweig is a really good city for dumpster diving. Especially the big supermarkets in the north and east of the city are places were you find a lot of food. Also the supermarkets around Braunschweig are often full. Normally it is the best to go there earliest a hour after closing time. There is a active but small dupster-diving scene. Only in autumn a lot of students try it.
There is a foodsharing group. The only "fairteiler" is at Gaußstr. 16, a student house. It has only opening times from 6pm to 8pm. If the door is closed at this time, you can just ring somewhere.
There is normally a lot of bread.
Each neighborhood has a specific dates to put discarded bulky items and other similar garbage out on the street. So if you find something, look also in the neighborhood. The dates are not public. People put out literally everything. Free Stuff you can get also on ebay-kleinanzeigen.
There are some free racks in Braunschweig:
- Inside "fairteiler" (see Braunschweig#Foodsharing) (Cloth, Stuff)
- Inside AStA of TU Braunschweig (Katharinenstraße 1, 38106 Braunschweig) (Books, Cloth, Stuff)
- In the Front of the university library (Pockelsstraße 13, 38106 Braunschweig) (Only Books)
- Inside Bike-Kitchen (see Braunschweig#DIY (Cloth, Stuff)
- In the Street Am Bülten, 38106 Braunschweig (Only Books)
There are a lot of pleases were you can repair and build your thinks by you own. This are some. Here are some:
- Bike Repair: Fahrrad-Selbst-Hilfe Werkstatt at Eulenstr. 5, 38114 Braunschweig, (they have realy everything there, and are very helpful)
- Sewing: Flickwerk Brauschweig at Jahnstraße 1, 38118 Braunschweig,
There is a freecycle Mailinglist
- BOTNIK: Student Garden 
- Stadtgarten Bebelholf: Schefflerstraße 34, 38126 Braunschweig from VHS
You can find sleeping places and friends on Trustroots
The most for free events are spreed by word-of-mouth advertising. But the Website "Kult-Tour" gives a good overview over public for free events in Braunschweig.