The Åland Islands (archipelago) are a wealthy autonomous Swedish speaking region within Finland consisting of more than 6000 islands.
The capital Mariehamn, is serviced by approx 6000 large ferry dockings a year, due to Åland's special status to grant docking ferries the right to sell drugs (cigarettes, alcohol and sugar laced "foods") on board, which makes for a lot of income for Mariehamn and the region in general, by being able to levy port fees.
Locations recommended for dumpster diving:
- City Livs in downtown Mariehamn, Torggatan 6 (Last checked: Nov.2009)
- Kantarellen/K-Market in Jomala, 3 km north of Mariehamn's center (by bicycle), Nya Godbyvägen (Last checked: Nov.2009)
- Mathis-Hallen in downtown Mariehamn, Ålandsvägen 42 (Last checked: Nov.2009)
- K-Market in Degerby on Föglö (separate island) (Last checked: Nov.2009)
Other large supermarkets exist near the named ones but have locked dumpsters, making sure all food placed in them gets destroyed.
- "Pippi's Dumpsterdiving Club", a site with sample pictures from the named stores dumpsters ("uncovering the hidden waste of western consumerism and the effects on the environment and my efforts to make use of as much wasted resources as possible")
Espoo | Helsinki | Inari | Ivalo | Joensuu | Jyväskylä | Kankaanpää | Karja | Karunki | Kemijarvi | Keuru | Kilpisjarvi | Kotka | Kuopio | Kuusamo | Lahti | Lappeenranta | Loviisa | Muonio | Näätämo | Nuorgam | Oulu | Petajavesi | Pori | Rovaniemi | Salo | Seinäjoki | Sodankyla | Tampere | Tornio | Turku | Utsjoki | Vaasa | Vantaa
Autonomous region: Åland Islands